Welcome to our Blog!
Hey let’s face it job searching is hard work. It can also be confusing, frustrating, and disappointing. But it doesn’t have to be. Having a strong plan and strategy in place absolutely can help. Here are some key points to remember.
Relationships and networking are the most important factor in your job search. Building the right connections and expanding your network is the single most important factor in your job search success. You also need to remember that you have more control than you think in your job search. You cannot know when, where or how you’ll find your next role but with enough persistence, patience and a plan in place you will eventually get results.
So what do we mean by strategy anyway. Let’s define the term strategy- its a method or plan chosen to bring about a desired future, such as achievement of a goal or solution to a problem. It’s also the art and science of planning and using resources for their most efficient and effective use. I want to share with you some statistics. 80% of jobs are posted, the other 20% is filled internally. A recruiter has about 6 seconds to spend on your resume. You are 5 times more likely to be hired if you are referred. I also want to speak about the 80/20 rule for job searching. 20% of job seekers take a passive approach to job searching by searching job boards, apply online and then wait to hear back. The other 80% take more of an active approach. They research and target companies, have informational meetings, develop relationships with advocates who can help them get an interview.
You need to come up with your story as a candidate and connect the dots. Your job search is all about storytelling. One of the ways that you are able to tell your story is in person in networking events or meetings, through your elevator pitch, or through interviews. Next way is on paper through the creation of your resume, cover letter or portfolio. Last way that you are able to tell your story is online through Linked in, a personal website or simply google results. You want to tell a consistent story of who you are and why you are different.
Also, another important fact especially these last couple of years is that people are changing careers more often and your path is not necessarily linear. However, it is your job to make it sound that way. You need to “connect” the dots to help the employers understand how your unique blend of experience and skills will meet their needs. You want to tailor your approach to each opportunity. Here are some steps in order to create your story. Know your strengths and accomplishments. Next you want to search your destination. Then you want to translate your experience into the story and use the language that the industry you want to go into uses. You also want to craft and practice your story.